Main Bike: K1200GT

Modifications: BMW Navigator III, Autocom, RAM balls

Second Bike: BMW R1100S Mamola BoxerCup

Third Bike: BMW R80RS & a sparkly new F800GS

Tin Box: BMW 330Ci

slparry is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default Re: How many miles do you get to a tank

Touch wood the fuel strip is the one item from "The Big Book of K1x00GT Failures" that mine's not succumbed to yet It's currently on 30000 miles.

My understanding was the failures in the USA were more related to the higher usage of ethanol there than in the UK, and that Europe also used more than the UK (although mine has survived forays into froggleland)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Forum User

Modifications: Main bike is now a 2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT, can't put it in coz it ain't listed innit! Not a BMW but I love it anyway.

Second Bike: 2008 K1200GT sadly gone due to extreme unreliability!

Third Bike: 2008 Yamaha V-Star also gone, can't say I miss it.

Tin Box: 2013 Kia Optima EX

PCD0c54 is on a distinguished road
Garage

As you know slparry, i-bmw has numerous threads about it on their site and no, it's not just the 2008 K1200, but it is a very common problem and is most likely the reason BMW went back to the float type sensor after 2009.

Niall ... the reason they didn't replace it under any warranty was because I bought it used from a non-BMW dealership who couldn't do the repair, and as much as I bitched (and believe me, I can bitch!) about it, they refused to do anything more than tell me to take it to a BMW dealer. Which I would have done if they were going to pay, but they refused to agree to that, so I use the trip counter.

I blame no one but myself ... I did zero research on BMW problems until after I bought it and had problems! As much as I love this bike I have to admit I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had known about all the issues ... I would have gone to a newer model instead ... but now I have it, I'll enjoy the good and do my best to ignore the bad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September 2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

raesewell is on a distinguished road

OK the results are in
Computer shows Zero miles left at 275 Miles
Ran out of petrol at 297.2 Miles
5 Lt of petrol added from can, travelled 0.9 miles to garage
filled up with 19.64 Lt
I think we can ignore the .9 miles, that gives us a total tank capacity of 24.64 Lts
This gives me and MPG figure of 54.7601
The last 20 or so miles were in a urban environment so I think that on a motorway you would get 300 miles to a full tank
Old 30th September 2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Forum User

Main Bike: K1300GT

Modifications: BMW taller screen Nippy Normans paint protectors Stiebel horn Wunderlich footpeg lowerers Touratech GPS mount Zumo 400 Deer whistle

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box: DIesel Passat estate.

Grumpygit is on a distinguished road

I find that the readout gets reasonably accurate once it is down to about 80-100 miles. Going by the average since owning the bike (4 years) I'd get an 'average' 253 miles on a tank. Still not really sure what an 'average' ride is though! I usually start thinking about a refill at 210-220 miles, and make sure I've got some by 240. I've rolled on to the forecourt just as the remaining fuel has clicked to zero before now though.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:58 PM   #15
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

mine shows that even at zero I had 22 miles left so in the future I will zero the trip every time and fill up at about 250
Old 30th September 2013, 01:00 PM   #16
TomL
Club Member

Main Bike: K1200S

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

TomL is getting good on the twisties!

Good range for the GT. I normally don't allow it to get past 190miles on the K1200S. Mind you it does depend what sort of riding you've been doing.
Old 30th September 2013, 01:03 PM   #17
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

These figures were for me riding solo which tends to be a bit faster than when my wife is on the back, I have recorded better MPG when touring with my wife as I tend to take it a bit more steady
Old 30th September 2013, 03:26 PM   #18
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Main Bike: K1200S

Modifications: Power Commander III, Later airbox and ICV, K&N filters, R&G full protector kit, Centre stand, Laser Deeptone silencer, Tinted screen, Sargent modular seat and pillion pod, HeliBars, Wunderlich 'Cruise Control', Sport Cases, (what's the use, this bit won't take enough data?)

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Audi A6 3.0 TDI quattro Avant

phmode is on a distinguished road

Bl@@dy Hell Tom! I thought I held the record for 'pushing' a K12S without having to actually push it; although it has run out on me twice, once with 6 miles on the countdown and once with 9.

Most fuel in the tank at fill-up is 18.63litres after 174 miles and a miserable 42.2 mpg on a long M'way dual carriageway blast to Poole from Newbury.

Brian (who really does prefer a 'reserve' fuel tap; but always forgot to turn it back to 'On' after filling up)
Old 30th September 2013, 04:22 PM   #19
Club Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Club Co Ordinator

Main Bike: K1300S

Modifications: SARGENT complete system seat, T-Bag sissy bag, RIZOMA levers and protectors, torque arm, WUNDERLICH front and rear brake protectors, tail bag, Paralever cap, TOURATECH front ABS protector, R&G protectors on forks, shaft, water pump,

Second Bike: BMW F800 ST

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

costas is on a distinguished road
Garage

Seriously find mine extremely accurate and it was discovered a cold night in the freeway with almost all fuel station going on strike, one was open, god of bikers to thank for, and the reading was 8kms left.
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Forum User

Modifications: Remus Ti end can. LED Runing Lights.

Second Bike: BMW R100S 1980

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Whats a car???

steve1200s is on a distinguished road

My commute is 10miles each way. I get 160to a tank! Even on long runs I don't get much more. Maybe 190 tops... :/
I don't 'brim' the tank though and usually fill up at 20miles left showing.

Does 160miles to 24 of super sound bad?

Hello by the way! I'm new here but know a few of you from other forums. got an 07 GT SE with a crap clutch! Love it otherwise....