Main Bike:

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

fishbird2 is on a distinguished road
Default Center Stand

Hi all,

Do other people struggle with the 06 GTSE center stand? Having previously owned R1100RT (and several other manufacturers bikes) I foolishly assumed the K1200 stand would be similar to engage in practice. How wrong can one be!

At just 1.72m high, weighing in at 77.5 kilos and several years illness I can't haul the contraption on to the center stand. Perish the thought with luggage as well!

Please tell me there is an answer? Besides going to the gym, buying a monkey bike or getting a side car!

Mind you I had hours of fun when I was fourteen years old with a BSA A10 & side car chassis until the plod discovered I wasn't actually 16. Ah well..............
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th June 2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Forum User

Main Bike:

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

MIKE R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Center Stand

It's hard to explain how I do it, but I don't have any problems.

I hold the handlebar with my left had and pillion grab rail with my right. Put all my weight on the centre stand extension arm and then roll the machine back. It's a matter of technique not brute strength.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th June 2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Forum User

Main Bike: Making my mind up!

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box: V(R)6, 204 hp

®win is on a distinguished road
Garage

The GT isn't the easiest bike to get on the centre stand. There has been a recall about the stands, but that was because there are stands that tend to bend out the stops, eventually go beyond that point. You can check with your dealer if your bike has had it's check. The replaced stands are fractionally better to operate. Ask Caratz, he'll confirm.

You also have to beware that your GT isn't standing over a bump. In such case it becomes very hard to get the bike on the centre stand.

Keep complaining with your dealer about the issue. Not that you can expect any solution on short term, but if no one complains, BMW will never improve the #%#$% thing.

A fully loaded GT isn't too easy to get off the stand either, btw.
Old 12th June 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Club Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Club Co Ordinator
Forum User

Main Bike: R1200GSA

Modifications: The old GT had...Wunderlich levers & stand ext. Stiebel horn. Blue top box. Baglux. Autocom. CB light cover. Zumo 660 Own wind deflectors. Various cheezy reflective bits. NN paint protectors.

Second Bike: Moto Guzzi Lemans II

Third Bike: TTR250

Tin Box: Z3 - Yaris

Paul C is getting good on the twisties!
Garage

I agree. I'm a almost 2 inches shorter than you but a couple of pounds heavier. When I first had the bike I noted the difference in weight, but I was recovering from a right broken arm adjacent to the wrist. I still think it's heavier to put on the stand than the R1100RT. And yes, there is a knack which is essentially about weight transfer. I just guide the steering/bike with my left hand, push down on the stand lever with my right foot while puling up with my right hand/arm on the grab rail, at the same time moving all my weight onto my right foot. When the bike is loaded I may have all my weight on the stand lever. A good boot sole is needed or you can bruise the sole of your foot, if in trainers or similar.
Old 12th June 2008, 09:30 PM   #5
caratz

Main Bike:

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

My experiences ? All bad.

I actually hurt my right foot's Achilles tendon trying to pu the GT on its centerstand while riding back fully loaded -sidecases plus large topcase- to Belgium. I would require an operation to TRY and repair it, whch would immobilize me for 3 months. Since I'm self employed, it's out of the question.

Upon returning, I raised the point with BMW BeLux. I challenged them to do the same thing I did. They used an R 1150 RT, an R 1200 RT and a K 1200 GT. They conceded the fact that the GT was the most difficult to hoist on the centerstand. One Dutch rider on the German K forum actually welded a prolongation to the lifting arm of the centerstand and now has a lot better leverage.

BMW BeLux raised the point with BMW Germany, who concede having received more complaints on the same subject. I have the lastest centerstand, it is marginally better. When the bike is fully loaded up, I'm not ashamed to ask someone to help me pull it up.

When taking it off the centerstand, push it backwards and forward a few times. Eventually it will have the momentum to come down without too much effort.

Old 12th June 2008, 11:07 PM   #6
Forum User

Main Bike:

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

Hi,

Thanks for the response. All very useful suggestions. Caratz do you know whether an '07 GT would have a modified stand fitted or not. Or does a request have to be made to the dealer at the time of order, or is it an after sale?

Once again thanks for all your tips!

Fishbird
Old 12th June 2008, 11:19 PM   #7
Forum User

Main Bike: Making my mind up!

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box: V(R)6, 204 hp

®win is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbird2
...do you know whether an '07 GT would have a modified stand fitted or not. Or does a request have to be made to the dealer at the time of order, or is it an after sale?
fishbird2,

Depends on when the GT was produced. I have an early 07 (Sep 06) and I had the centre stand replaced under warranty in November 06. I believe somewhere in October / begin November 06 BMW started mounting the new centre stands. I would try for warranty replacement.

According to the ETK (Elektronische Teile Katalog, the electronic parts catalogue) the new centre stand has a new part number from 1-11-'06 (46.52.7.709.193).
Old 12th June 2008, 11:32 PM   #8
Forum User

Main Bike:

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

Thanks for that Erwin.

Regards

Fishbird
Old 13th June 2008, 12:20 AM   #9
caratz

Main Bike:

Modifications:

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C
I agree. I'm a almost 2 inches shorter than you but a couple of pounds heavier. When I first had the bike I noted the difference in weight, but I was recovering from a right broken arm adjacent to the wrist. I still think it's heavier to put on the stand than the R1100RT. And yes, there is a knack which is essentially about weight transfer. I just guide the steering/bike with my left hand, push down on the stand lever with my right foot while puling up with my right hand/arm on the grab rail, at the same time moving all my weight onto my right foot. When the bike is loaded I may have all my weight on the stand lever. A good boot sole is needed or you can bruise the sole of your foot, if in trainers or similar.
A tip for all GT users. It comes from my orthopedist surgeon.

When putting the bike on its centerstand, don't use the ball of your foot to put the pressure on the lever, but push your foot as far as possible forward, weight at the forward limit of the heel. Test that your leg is stable, and push. Your achilles tendon will get a lot less stretched, thereby minimizing the risk of eventual damage.

Old 14th June 2008, 12:03 AM   #10
Club Member
Club Member

Main Bike: K1200GT

Modifications: Baglux, city lids, some stick-on chintz, that's it!

Second Bike: R80/7

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Saab

slampo is on a distinguished road

Logically (we have electric screens already), BMW ought to be developing an electrically operated centre stand ...

How do the K1200LT riders manage?

S