Forum User

Main Bike: K1200GT

Modifications: None

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Fix or Repair Daily ;o)

mutz_nutz is on a distinguished road
Angry Driving licence scam

I wanted to change my address and so logged on to what I took to be a DVLA site.
Turned out its a scam, charge you £5 just to email you the Form D1, but more worrying is they now have my personal details, bank etc.
Its only once you pay the header comes up with this is not connected to the DVLA!

Grrrr!
Website is:
DRIVING-LICENCE-APPLICATION.co.uk

You have been warned!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Main Bike: K1300GT

Modifications: K1300 GT EE. Nothing more to add!

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Audi A3

Steve F is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driving licence scam

Oh dear ! However, I see that the following small print at the web site header shows the folowing:-

DRIVING-LICENCE-APPLICATION.co.uk
Your driving licence application in a few clicks.
Not affiliated to DVLA or any official body.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December 2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Main Bike: K1200S

Modifications: Power Commander III, Later airbox and ICV, K&N filters, R&G full protector kit, Centre stand, Laser Deeptone silencer, Tinted screen, Sargent modular seat and pillion pod, HeliBars, Wunderlich 'Cruise Control', Sport Cases, (what's the use, this bit won't take enough data?)

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Audi A6 3.0 TDI quattro Avant

phmode is on a distinguished road

Perhaps more importantly Malcolm, you should be more worried about the REAL DVLA site and the scams they pull on bikers and truckers.

Been more than a couple of months since I heard about the last instance of folks sending off to change their address or other details and finally getting a new licence back with NO motorcycle entitlement or truck entitlement when it was clearly there in the first place. This has been going on for years and despite many promises of sending back the old licence with the new one so you could prove you had the entitlement in the first place, this is not happening routinely.

A police motorcycle engineer who had his licence checked by the Chief Constable every year, being denied entitlement until he can prove he had it in the first place; 'It's OK' says DVLA, 'all you have to do is send us your pass certificate and we will re-issue the licence with the correct entitlements'. Kind of difficult when you passed your test in 1964. Oh, and had to send off the pass certificate to get your licence! Get real.

So, the only way I have heard of of getting them to prove you have the entitlement is to write to them, before you change any details, and ask them, under a 'Freedom of Information' request, to tell you what details they currently hold on file for you. This will be the proof you need to back up any claim for entitlements missing from your new licence.

The Police motorcycle engineer had to re-sit his test and couldn't test-ride police motorcycles until he had done so. Oh, and then try telling your insurance company you are a newly qualified rider!

Brian (who is worried less about the scammers than the officials)
Old 9th December 2013, 01:12 AM   #4
BBB
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Main Bike: K1600GT

Modifications: Remus Hexacone silencers, Wunderlich engine bars, Calsci XW XXL screen.

Second Bike: Honda Crosstourer

Third Bike:

Tin Box: VW Golf Plus 1.6TDi SE Bluemotion

BBB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmode View Post
So, the only way I have heard of of getting them to prove you have the entitlement is to write to them, before you change any details, and ask them, under a 'Freedom of Information' request, to tell you what details they currently hold on file for you. This will be the proof you need to back up any claim for entitlements missing from your new licence.
It would be a request under the Data Protection Act, not the Freedom of Information Act as you are asking for personal data. It is a simple request and one that I did about 3 years ago and now have the print out tucked away in a safe place. I know 2 people who fell foul to this and both had to resit the test as they couldn't prove to DVLA they had previously passed a test, due to having taken their test originally in the 70's.
Old 9th December 2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Club Member
Club Member

Main Bike: K1200R Sport

Modifications: AC Schnitzer bellypan and can. PC III.

Second Bike: R1200ST

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Super-duper, all-the-toys, living room-on-wheels, Espace IV!!

milleplod is on a distinguished road

I've never, ever surrendered a licence showing my entitlements, whether it be for an address change, photo update or whatever. That does mean I've got one or two stashed away in a drawer (sorry, I meant to say they've been lost of course....), but its a good starting point should something go amiss.

Pete
Old 9th December 2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Club Member
Club Member

Modifications: Its a tourer, more lights than Blackpool

Second Bike: Not an R12RT

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Toyota Rav 4 XT5 Toyoya Rav 4 T180

niall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleplod View Post
I've never, ever surrendered a licence showing my entitlements, whether it be for an address change, photo update or whatever. That does mean I've got one or two stashed away in a drawer (sorry, I meant to say they've been lost of course....), but its a good starting point should something go amiss.

Pete
Oh you naught boy...

For anything Government related - use www.direct.gov.uk and that search engine. It does actually work.

Oh for the days back in 2001 when the primary (site) was Pinky and the secondary was Perky, and the DR was Piglet and Miss Piggy
Old 9th December 2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Location: On a Road Somewhere but the house is in Kent (I think)
Main Bike: K1300S

Modifications: All factory fitted extras

Second Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R (project rebuilt)

Third Bike: Honda CBR 750F

Tin Box: Give me a break, whats that?

Roboduck is on a distinguished road
Garage
Smile Re: Driving licence scam

I'm with Pete on this I've managed to lose a few over the years, miraculously just before I moved, Strange that!
Old 9th December 2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Modifications: Carbon fibre dash, yoke and steering head covers (which I make myself), carbon exhaust tip and clutch cover, carbon fuel filler and front fender extender, rear turbine hub thingy, driving lamps, brake pedal enhancement, mirror extensions, tribo seat for pillion, R&G crash bungs, rubber tank pad set,

Second Bike: Now sold waaaa!

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Audi A4 Avant

Hedgehog is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Driving licence scam

Yup - kind of difficult for them to argue you have no entitlement when you have a licence in your possession that says so. On the other hand the DPA request sounds like a good idea... think I'll try that.

Good advice here. Innit?
Old 9th December 2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Grand Tour Master
Forum User

Main Bike: K1200S

Modifications: Power Commander III, Later airbox and ICV, K&N filters, R&G full protector kit, Centre stand, Laser Deeptone silencer, Tinted screen, Sargent modular seat and pillion pod, HeliBars, Wunderlich 'Cruise Control', Sport Cases, (what's the use, this bit won't take enough data?)

Second Bike:

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Audi A6 3.0 TDI quattro Avant

phmode is on a distinguished road

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the correction. How do you go about getting the print out under the DP act?

Somehoy I think it is something we should all do; the problem is widespread and not going away and if it happens to someone who needs their licence on a daily basis then they are truly bu@@ered if it happens to them.

Brian (who isn't planning on changing anything anytime soon but is now getting paranoid)
Old 9th December 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Club Member
Club Member

Main Bike: K1200R Sport

Modifications: AC Schnitzer bellypan and can. PC III.

Second Bike: R1200ST

Third Bike:

Tin Box: Super-duper, all-the-toys, living room-on-wheels, Espace IV!!

milleplod is on a distinguished road

"Data subject access requests (driver information)
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to obtain information held about yourself from the DVLA records.
Requests for data must be made in writing providing your full name
and address details, driver licence number or your date of birth if your driver number is not known. The fee for this service is £5.00 and requests
should be sent to

DVRE 5, D7,
DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL
"

Simples.

Pete